Posts Tagged ‘grid smart grid’
Peter Behr, NY Times: If there is a consensus within the smart grid sector, it’s on the necessity of getting consumers to use new digital meters, energy displays, appliance controls and pricing innovation to reduce their use of electricity.
This has been the mantra of the GridWise Global Forum in Washington this week, a convention of utilities, smart grid vendors, consultants and regulators. Theodore Craver Jr., president and CEO of Edison International, said the task involves providing essential information to customers, “so we can get them engaged around the idea of saving energy.”
Largely missing from the discussion this week has been a primary but uncomfortable question for the grid coalition: Just who will be doing business with the customer as the smart grid grows? Will it be the electric utilities that now own the franchises, or companies of all sizes that want a new path to the consumer, from startup smart device manufacturers to AT&T or Home Depot or Google or Wal-Mart?
The question lies at the center of efforts to work out technical standards for connecting smart meters, communications devices, appliances and electric vehicles to the grid, forum participants say. It figures squarely in debates over assuring privacy and cyber security on a smarter grid, and what kind of communications links will tie consumers to their utilities.
The question could affect whether the smart grid at the outset will be a universal service for all electricity customers or be segmented to groups of customers who support climate policies and enlist in the movement.
“It is the elephant in the room,” said Greg Guthridge, a managing partner of Accenture.
Location: Location Negotiable
Travel: 100% (Monday – Friday)
Systems Integration and Technology (SI&T) offers a full range of global delivery services-from enterprise solutions, system integration, technical architectures, business intelligence, infrastructure consulting, and technology research/development.
Our SI&T consultants can expect to:
Accenture Technology Consulting (ATC) falls within the SI&T organization and provides services aimed at improving the strategic intent, transforming economics and effectiveness, and the overall design, of a company’s information technology capabilities and/or functions. Information technology capabilities include IT planning and management, IT processes and approaches, and IT assets that provide the operational components necessary to run applications.
Accenture’s Security practice helps organizations work through complex business and technology issues to provide a straightforward approach to information and network security. Our security professionals bring deep technology skills and industry knowledge to any organization and work closely with clients to design and implement a security solution closely tied to business objectives.
Utilities Industry/Smart Grid Security Senior Manager:
Our consultants identify and evaluate business needs for security gaps and will help to create security project plans. They also anticipate security requirements and identify sound security controls for applications, systems, processes and organizations. Our consultants can easily work with non-security teams to integrate security controls on projects.
We are currently searching for consultants for our Security Technology practice with past security consulting experience in the Utilities Industry and experience defining and developing security capabilities for Smart Grid implementations. These consultants will be experts in the field and well-versed with the Utility Industry’s compliance frameworks.
Key Responsibilities may include:
• Working within Utility Industry compliance frameworks, specifically FERC, NERC CIP and recently released NIST Smart Grid security requirements
• Defining Security & Control capabilities of Accenture Smart Grid offerings
• Working with Oracle, EMC, RSA, Cisco, Symantec and Silver Springs Networks as part of a Smart Grid Solution
• Developing and presenting at industry conferences as an expert in the Utilities Security and Smart Grid field
• Play substantive or lead role in establishing Accenture’s presence within the Utilities/Smart Grid field
• Business development responsibilities
• Demonstrate ability to create and direct proposal efforts
• Ability to travel 100%
• Minimum 3 years security consulting experience within the Utilities Industry
• Minimum 2 years experience with Smart Grid-related security technology
• Minimum 3 years experience managing a technical team
• Minimum Bachelor’s degree
Professional Skill Requirements:
• Eagerness to contribute in a team-oriented environment
• Ability to work creatively and analytically in a problem-solving environment
• Desire to work in an information systems environment
• Excellent communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills
• Strongly recommend industry-adopted security certification (e.g. CISSP, CISM)
Candidates who are currently employed by a client of Accenture or an affiliated Accenture business may not be eligible for consideration.
Applicants for employment in the U.S. must possess work authorization which does not require sponsorship by the employer for a visa.
Retail Systems Consulting professionals are responsible for delivering large-scale, complex programs that integrate business processes with industry leading technologies to help our clients achieve high performance. Retail Systems Consultant have skills in implementing best of breed retail solutions such as Oracle Retail and JDA, including business process design, package configuration, packaging integration, and full software development lifecycle experience. Specifically, for this position, the job includes designing, developing and implementing a breadth of Oracle Retail and JDA package software applications including integration and configuration.
• Supervising application design and architecture components
• Supervising process and functional design activities
• Creating functional requirements as an input to application design
• Developing and testing functional designs for business solution components
• Supervising application build, test, and deploy activities
• Planning and executing data conversion activities
• Driving test planning and execution
- 4+ years of experiene in relevant Oracle Retail. Examples for Oracle Retail applications include but are not limited to Merchandise Order Management, Retek Predictive Application Server, and Oracle Point-of-Sale.
- Process design, configuration, functional design, and testing experience
- Bachelor degree required
• Experience with a large professional service organization preferred• Experience working in a multi-site development environment
- Excellent leadership, communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work creatively and analytically in a problem-solving environment
- Desire to work in an information systems environment
- Strong team players able to work effectively with business and IT professionals
Location is negotiable in the USA, except where noted.
Please contact me directly if you have any questions – firstname.lastname@example.org.
A key Accenture System Integration need:
Accenture’s Financial Services Operating group affords an amazing opportunity. Work is focused on developing applications to support the world’s largest banking and trading entities. Experience in J2EE OR .NET platforms is sought. Please contact me: email@example.com.
- Assisting with business development/closing the sale
- Writing proposals and project cost estimates
- Gathering functional requirements and developing technical specifications & project/test planning
- Potentially leading development teams and supervising other technical resources
- Designing/developing software applications, project prototypes, proofs of concept & client demos
- Reviewing designs & code output from development team and results produced by QA personnel
- Interfacing with other technical and functional groups within Accenture
- Willingness to travel up to 50%
- 1 year of experience with object-oriented design and development utilizing Java/J2EE and/or .NET and/or C++ technologies
- 1 year of work experience as Software Developer, Software Engineer, or other similar position with technical focus, application development or architecture experience
- 1 year of experience designing and developing capital markets/financial applications including trading systems, risk analysis applications or equity/fixed income applications, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in Software Engineering, Engineering (any type), Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Mathematics or related discipline with technology focus desired
- Experience with database technologies including Oracle, Sybase and/or SQL Server
- Experience with messaging – tools, middleware, protocols, etc.
- Exposure to a variety of distributed computing technologies
- Basic project management experience
- Strong writing, problem solving, communication and client-facing skills